Turning Hopeless to Hopeful: Sponsor A Child and Change Their Story
“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after Orphans and Widows
in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” –James 1:27
It takes so little to turn a child’s story from hopeless to hopeful! Petros Network is dedicated to improving the lives of orphans and fatherless children through child sponsorship. Just $30 USD a month allows an orphan to live within their extended family, or be embraced by a generous Ethiopian family. For as little as $1 a day the child you sponsor is provided food, clothing, medical care, education, and other basic services.
The Bible has a lot to say about how we should take care of orphans.
- We are to defend their rights. (Psalm 82:3)
- We are to speak up for them as advocates. (Proverbs 31:8)
- We’re to feed them. (Matthew 25)
- We’re to clothe them. (Matthew 25)
- We’re to protect them from those who mistreat them. (Isaiah 1:17)
- We’re to ensure justice for them. (Deuteronomy 24:17)
- We’re to share our resources with them. (Luke 3:11, Romans 12:13)
- We’re to find families for them. (Psalm 68:5-6)
So Then…,Why Ethiopia?
- Ethiopia is considered by the Mother’s Index to be the 3rd tier most dangerous place in the world to be born.1
- 5 million children in Ethiopia are orphans or have lost one parent.2
- With inadequate health care services, many children die before reaching the age of 5.3
- Few of these deaths are related to starvation, but rather to common illnesses (like diarrhea, malaria and measles) that move on vulnerable children whose bodies have been weakened by hunger.4
- More than half of Ethiopians lack access to clean drinking water.5
- Only 36 percent of children attend primary or secondary school.6
- More than two in five children who start primary school in Ethiopia do not complete fifth grade.7
- Approximately half of children under age 5 in Ethiopia suffer from stunting as a result of malnutrition.8
* Bulleted statistics in this section are from UNICEF, accessed February 2012.
As a sponsor you will receive:
- Photograph and bio of your child.
- Communications from your child.
- Updates from Petros Network
- Opportunities to send gifts.
- Notified of opportunities to visit your child in Ethiopia.
- The JOY of giving a child new hope and a new story.
How are children and guardians selected:
- Pastors of church plants identify fatherless children and recommend them for sponsorship.
- Petros Network is committed to the power of “family” as expressed through the local church, therefore, in order to carry out holistic participatory development we work through local church plants in planning, monitoring, implementing and evaluating the development and support of orphans and their guardians.
- Professional social workers work with the local church to oversee each of the children.
- Extended family are interviewed as potential guardians for the orphan first.
- If an extended family is not a good fit, then families within the church community are considered.
–Petros Network works directly with field coordinators and social workers allowing your donation to have the greatest impact in a child’s life.
–The need in Ethiopia is great and takes many partners. We work in collaboration with faith based organizations (FBOs), government organizations (GOs) and community based organizations (CBOs) to provide the most excellent care. Please contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org and by viewing some of our strategic partners here >>